Monday, January 19, 2009

I HAVE TO VENT

I have to vent on behalf of all of the thoughtfull parents/people out there. Dalton was invited to a classmates birthday party for yesterday. On the invitation there was the typical R.S.V.P response. We responded that we would be there. This party was being held at a local pizzaria/arcade place where you purchase a certain birthday package. We got there about 10 min. early and the room was full of kids with their parents standing outside of the room trying to look in. IT WAS SO CRAZY AND LOUD IN THAT ROOM!! The kids were to have pizza, drinks, cake and to get a few tokens. (perfectly normal party of this sort) Unless you have a bunch of people show up that did not tell you they were coming!! The mom said she had 5 respond to the RSVP request, there were 22 kids there!! I am sure they had to purchase extra drinks, pizza and coins to accomodate past what she had planned, according to the RSVP's, and had ordered from the place. I know her son had a great time and that is what is important but I felt so bad for her and her husband. I know they were frazzeled!!

Ahhh. I feel better. And for those of you who read this and never really understood why you needed to give a response----THIS IS WHY! You are to let them know YES you can come or NO you can not come. NOT read my mind!

This is not personal to anyone in particular. We are all busy. Just do it.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Thank you! People not RSVP'ing is a huge pet peeve of mine. I once offended a girlfriend of mine whom I chastisted when she said she never RSVP'd for events. I just wanted to yell, what do you think it's there for?! Frustrating! What's awful is what if these parents had a budget that was totally blown because of this?

Laurie said...

Amen, Sistah!

You know, I hate to say it, but I used to be one of those people who would never RSVP. But my excuse was a "tiny" bit more legitimate. I worked so many hours, I was rarely available but my schedule was never the same from day to day. So I would ask if I could just come at the last minute if the opportunity arose.

Also, I was never really well versed in etiquette. Seriously, there are a lot of things about which I have no clue. Like when barb told me I had to send out invites to a bday party 3 weeks out and know when I was having it 4 weeks out to plan, I was shocked and gave up the idea of having a party because I was a terrible planner! hahaah

But I'm a reformed RSVP'er. I try really hard to respond thse days.

Karen said...

Laurie you tickle me! Well as you know Barb is your woman when it comes to etiquette and planning. And if you contacted someone to let them know there is a possability of you being able to come -that is different. These people just didn't do anything. (but show up) With Dalton's birthday this past year I purposly put call me to let me know if you can come or not so I can plan for food. My only other option was to personally call each one which I was not about to do. I get so worked up...I need to breathe and just let it go. ommmm ommmmmm