Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'M RETIRED (SO DENNY SAYS)

Yes, that's right, Denny says I am retired. Actually he kinda makes fun of me. What Denny doesn't realize is that I am not at home sitting around eating bonbons and watching Oprah. I am not sure if I have even seen an episode of Oprah since "my retirement." Besides spending weeks going through and unpacking boxes and putting stuff away there is the day to day stuff that has to be done too. With two dogs in the house you have to sweep the floors DAILY, moping, dusting, picking up toys and clothes that are left on the floor instead of being put in the dirty laundry baskets, doing the laundry, folding or hanging the clothes and putting them away, windows-who likes doing windows?? How about the cooking and the dishes. Do you have any idea how many cups and glasses we dirty in a day?? The dogs have to be taken out to potty. We do not have a fence so Abie has to be taken out on a leash and Roscoe has to be watched to make sure he doesn't wander off. When Dalton is at home you have to check on him every little bit to make sure he is not into something. When Dalton is in school there is taking him and picking him up from school. Some where in here I need a shower. Does any one care to guess on how much it would cost to have some one come in and do these things? All that being said-I do not mind doing these things, I actually like taking care of our son and home and having dinner ready when Denny comes home. I have self worth. If I were working a job too then these things would be waiting for me when I got home. I believe it is better to have family time when the family is together and do the daily stuff when Dalton is at school and Denny is at work. So you see I really am not retired.

We all know I have had a hard time with Dalton starting Kindergarten this year. I have joined the PTO and I am going to be a room mother. I want to do all I can with him and for him. It feels like Dalton is either in school or asleep more than what time I get with him now and it feels like it has knocked the breath right out of me. I really miss him. If you have heard the song by Trace Atkins "Your Gonna Miss This" then you know how I feel. I can't hear the song with out crying. I have heard parents say things like "I didn't do _____ with my first child but I did with my second or third" etc. I don't get to try and do it right with another child. This is my one and only chance to get it right the first time. So you see I DON'T WANT MISS THIS. And if this is retirement so be it.

I earned my retirement yesterday. The wind took down one of our trees and it landed partly in the creek. The creek was moving fast and getting higher and the tree was obstructing its way and creating a flood in our yard. I got out a hand saw and started cutting branches and my neighbor came over with his chainsaw and cut the big branches for me. I removed all of the branches and put them in a burn pile and had it all cleaned up when Denny got home. If I would have had the ability to cut the rest of the tree down I would have.

No comments: