Wednesday, August 6, 2008

PEACHES ANYONE?

I have been trying to come up with some things to do with Dalton this summer that would be memorable. This is a small town so it has been challenging. I woke up monday morning with and idea in my head. I had remembered seeing a sign about a mile from the house that said "orchard". So, lets go pick..whatever it is they are growing...right? X wrong. Now mind you, I had Dalton all hyped up that this was going to be really cool that we were going out into a field of trees to pick some fruit.(not knowing what it was they were growing-it didn't really matter) He was all for it-thinking there would be some tree climbing going on. Of course, wouldn't you? We get there. We are the only ones there. They had bushels of peaches every where. They were quick to slice one up and let us try one. Yummy? yes! But.....we were not allowed to go pick them ourselves. I know , I was shocked too! The little ole farmer lady said that the insurance was so high for them to allow people to do that that they had to stop doing it. We were disappointed even though it was already about 98 degrees out. The little farmer lady went on to tell us how 270 farmers a day loose or have to quit their farms. Needless to say that could have been a bushel of rotten peaches and I would still have bought them. Thank goodness they were not rotten. Mom and I put 9 quarts in the freezer. If you come to my house for dinner you now know what you will probably have for dessert.

No comments: